Friday, November 16, 2012

back in 1998 I auditioned for the LA junior philharmonic with my french horn and I was accepted.  Gosh, I remember the audition like it was yesterday.  I had to sight read a piece I had never played.  there was a triplet that caught me off guard.  I remember mentally saying 'sa-tur-day' as I played the notes (I'm pretty sure it was a Bflat) and freaking out.  I remember getting the postcard for the callback to audition but I don't remember actually getting accepted because I know that was also the same time I was let down by being told that my mom would not be able to drive me to the practices downtown.  I was so angry.  finally when I was 'good' at something, the very people who told me I wasn't good enough for anything had let me down.

Its their 75th anniversary this year.  

sometimes I wonder if I should go back to playing music.  I wonder what my life would be like right now if I had become the member.  will I have majored in music?  Would I have gotten good enough to play in other orchestras?  would I annoy my neighbors?  would I still be a military wife? 

I really want to play the trombone again.  I think it was my favorite.

2 comments:

  1. I recently purchased a new bow so I can play my violin. I just haven't had the time to sit down and spend half a day rosining the darn thing. This post made me realize that I just need to bite the bullet and do it. Music has always been such an important part of my life. I started voice training when I was six, violin when I was eight, and then a range of reed instruments when I was 13. I've missed music desperately.

    I often wonder where I would be now if my parents hadn't moved away from Jacksonville. I was accepted into a magnet school of the arts and was preparing to audition for entrance to the high school of the arts, Douglas Anderson. I was accepted into the Jacksonville Youth Symphony but my parents couldn't get me to the rehearsals and then we moved...so that was that.

    Get back into music, even if it is just honking out some noise to accompany the kids while they play. When I've played around the kids, they're my biggest fans and an enormous encouragement. So what if I suck compared to how I played so long ago...they think I'm awesome and they love the songs I play.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it! I want to see a post about it soon on your blog ;)

      Delete